Saturday, November 6, 2010

Original Ode

Ode to the Midnight Snack

Why do I need you every night?
O midnight snack I wander to,
I say I won't with all my might,
But down stairs I walk to find you.
It calls me from my slumber like,
a shining beacon in the sea.
It calls me down and sets me right,
It warms me up just like hot tea.
Without I'd have many sleepless nights.
-Patrick Mavety


Explication

This is an original ode describing a midnight snack. It has a rhyme scheme of ababcdecde which is common with odes. I tried to glorify the idea of a midnight snack and how it just makes you have a good night sleep. I also purposely didn't mention one snack by name because there are so many and I wanted to leave more imagination to the viewer. The poetic devices I threw in were a couple of similes in line 6 and 9. This poem relates to my theme because it is about food but not just your typical breakfast, lunch or dinner food, there are many other times we eat.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Pat,
    Your poem made me laugh (in a good way of course). It's really interesting how you managed to make the ode humourous, as most poeple associate odes with more "lofty" themes like love etc. It's refreshing to see a poem that goes against the grain! The only thing I'd like to ask is about your poem's last line is it supposed to be "Without I'd have many sleepless night" or "Without I'd have many 'a' sleepless night"?

    ReplyDelete