Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sonnet 7

Oft I do wake to aromatic smells,
That lift me off my moribund bed.
Cinnamon spice, honey, fragrant yeast swells,
Sugar and cream await my sleepy head.
Delicate trimmings of vanilla lace,
Lay strewn about careful dabs of delight,
A sight to withhold whilst yearning to taste,
Fluffy gobbets of blissful berry bites.
I’ll quell my torment and gently wait,
Til this bakery opens with your smile,
To find a longing heart’s sole satiate,
And pray it lingers for more than awhile.
My dear delicattessan of the heart,
Shall thou forever be my morning start.
- Huy Hong


Explication

This poem is a Shakespearean Sonnet and I believe it is about a girl. Huy Hong is comparing food to a girl and how he wakes every morning to the smell of food, which is the same as waking up everyday next to the woman of his dreams. I felt like this was a very good poem. I like the way he described the food like "Delicate trimmings of vanilla lace,". I could really picture food and the smells in my head. For the first eight lines he described the food, but then in the last six lines he changed the poems tune and started to relate back to this woman, which was a good way to finish the poem.   

No comments:

Post a Comment